Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Suburban Goes to Italy 2009 - Part Two

Or is it really Day 1? I left yesterday, but just got here? Time difference if a killer, but I am good to go and feel like a million bucks! When we last met, I was on my way to Giorgio Rivetti’s Tuscan Estate. Normally at this juncture, I would share so fabulous pictures with you. But, when we finally found the winery (travelling in Europe without a GPS is FUN!), we had to walk a bit and I had left my camera in the car, I did take some pictures with my phone (the quality is not as great, but it's better than nothing!). Fear not, however, as I had it by my side for the remainder of the trip. Anyway, I digress, he gave us a tour of the new building. The winery is very modern in style (much like his wines), and carved into the side of a mountain. A picture of the some of the vineyards is below.



The entire operation is state-of-the-art, and brand spanking new. Without question, Giorgio’s Tuscan offerings have seen dramatic improvement since they were initially introduced 3 years ago. After we tasted through his new releases, Giorgio says “We are going to go to lunch at my favorite place, it’s only about 20 minutes North of here”. I hop into his car and away we go. A full hour later, driving at 200 kilometers an hour we arrive. But it was worth the trip, at least after my heart stopped racing!

Lunch itself was an amazing experience, at a restaurant called “Lorenzo” in Forte dei Marmi, just north of Pisa (picture below).



Giorgio, as always was the perfect host, rolling out an amazing assortment of wines (all served blind):

Philliponnat Brut as a starter
01 Valentini Trebbiano d’Abruzzo
05 Coche-Dury Meursault AC
04 Spinetta Barbaresco Valeirano
08 Spinetta Moscato Biancospino

Killer lunch…great wines…wonderful company. Thank you Giorgio!

We finished up around 4pm, when Giorgio stood and told us that he needs to leave because he is hosting a dinner that evening…in Rome! A three hour drive away! He has boundless energy and is truly one of the best in the business!

We were full, a little jet-lagged, and in desperate need of another coffee. We took a walk around this gorgeous coastal town, grabbed a coffee (picture below) and jumped in the car for the 2 hour drive down to Montalcino…..where my brother…and another fabulous meal was waiting! More on that next time!


- Lance Cerutti - www.suburbanwines.com




No comments: