Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Creative Editing

Customers often envy the fact that as a wine taster I get to taste all the great wines of the world. There is another side –a tale from the dark side…..

As a professional I evaluate aroma, taste on palate, consistency, weight, and finish. Recently I had the misfortune to taste a wine that not only had strange things floating in it but also,
Had the aroma of exhaust fumes from a 1954 pre-catalytic converter Buick LeSabre,
Had the initial taste of aged road kill on a deserted road,
Had the consistency and color of a 10-50 weight used motor oil,
Had the finishing taste of blackberries with freezer burn,
And finally the finish of shellac that stayed with me the rest of the day.
I have to say that this was the worst wine I have ever tasted.


After turning over my comments to our editor I gratefully moved on. The next day my review read

“A unique, one of a kind full-bodied, unfiltered red wine with a smoky, meaty bacon-filled aroma and is loaded with rich dark fruit. You can look forward to a long lingering finish that will complement its uniqueness. Not to be missed.” – Fred Horowitz – http://www.suburbanwines.com/

1 comment:

TERRY said...

Hi Honey,

I remember that wine. WHY DID YOU BRING IT HOME AND MAKE ME TASTE IT??!!!??? AM I NOT A GOOD WIFE?